Skip to content Skip to navigation

Reporting a Hate Crime

Reporting Hate Crimes:

If what you are reporting may constitute a hate crime, then please follow the steps below.

Step 1. Reporting to Police

A. Reporting during an ongoing incident

If there is an immediate threat to personal safety or property, or if someone has been physically injured, the target, witness, residential staff member, or third party should call the police immediately. Call 9-911 from a campus phone, or 911 from a cell phone or off-campus phone. Tell the dispatcher what is happening and remain on the line with the dispatcher.

B. Reporting after an incident has occurred.

  • If there has been a hate crime committed (or reason to believe that one has been committed), you can and should call the police. The police will also be contacted by the University once we receive a report of a hate crime.
  • If there is reason to believe that an act of intolerance has been committed but there is uncertainty about the nature of the act, the police may be contacted for consultation and to assess the situation.
  • On the University campus, if the act of intolerance involves property damage such as graffiti on a building, the Stanford Police should be notified as soon as possible and the police will preserve or document the evidence.

Step 2. Preservation of physical evidence

Before proceeding to Step 3, do not tamper with, touch, remove, or destroy physical evidence.

If the police have been called or if it is believed that a crime has been committed and the police will be called to conduct an investigation, the police will collect and process the evidence. After the police have documented the evidence, the police or University personnel will notify University Facilities or the University Housing office to have the material removed.

If the police are not going to be called, the offending material should be removed or covered ONLY after consultation with one of the persons listed in Step 3.

Step 3. Reporting to University Personnel

You should also report any suspected hate crime to the Office of Community Standards for investigation. 
If you have questions about reporting to the OCS, or if you would like to discuss your experience with other University staff, then you can also contact the following people who can then reach out to the OCS:   
  • In an Undergraduate dorm, report the incident to a staff person on the residential staff: your Resident Fellow (RF),  your Residence Dean (RD) or your Resident Assistant (RA).
  • In a Graduate Residence, report the incident to the Graduate Life Office.
  • At an Overseas Campus, Stanford In Washington/New York or the Hopkins Marine Station, report the incident to a Residence Dean, house staff or the program director responsible for that site.
  • In any setting other than those listed above Report the incident to the Associate Vice Provost and Dean of Students.

Step 4. Fill out Act of Intolerance Form

In order to best keep track of these incidences, even for those that are deemed or thought to be hate crimes, please fill out an Act of Intolerance report.